10 Things to Know When Working With the Elderly
- Patience is the key-This is an emotional time.
- Sellers are not 100% committed to leave decades of memories.
- Making sure there is a family member or trusted friend to advise them.
- Determine if the home is better off sold to builder or homeowners.
- If Owner occupants are the target, make sure buyers are aware sellers will NOT leave the home during showings.
- Do not start changing things like paint, carpet etc.
- Call them every 2 days just to see how they are.
- Be prepared, buyers and contracts will NOT be accepted lightly. They are seen as adversarial. You must let seller vent and be patient. These feelings are totally natural.
- Elderly sellers need 30 days after settlement to liquidate.
- Settlement companies need to go the sellers for signatures.
The liquidation Process:
- Identify all items they want to bring with them.
- Identify all items going to family member.
- Hold a Yard sales for the rest.
- Schedule Junk 123 to pick up anything not sold.
- Cleaners take care of the rest.